The tree with the lights in it.

21 March 2007

Do you have sun?

The vertical ray of the sun, Werner Herzog eats his shoe.

The thing that always scared me about the idea of a heaven was that in heaven everything is perfection and happiness and eternal. I guess that is the whole idea, but I could never understand how constant happiness was actually something to be desired. Isn't it sadness that teaches you what happiness truly means? With nothing to contrast the perfection, doesn't the whole thing get pretty boring? And surely with all that monotony, eventually one can't help but feel a little sad. The whole thing just seems so sterile and lonesome to me. I'm not one of those people who claims to love pain and depression. I don't relish the dark and gloom of winter. I loathe it. I fear it. I long for it to end. But just when I think I am condemned to a life of grey skies and dirty snow piles and chapped hands, the sun emerges, I throw off my coat, and the whole miserable ordeal of winter seems magically, intensely necessary. Even if only for that one moment.